Celtic Spirituality

Renames Celtic Spirituality, formerly "Health Spirituality." We aim to encourage and develop awareness of the many benefits of a healthy faith with many innsights from a Celtic perspective. We explore the Mind-Body-Spirit connections. See also Paschal's home faith community at the website of Celtic Christian Chruch. Inspiration: Ps 23, Luke 1: "My sould magnifies the Lord...", & follwing 15 vv., and the words of Amazing grace. Noblesse Oblige.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Living Whole-Heartedly: 12 characteristics

What does it mean to live whole-heartedly?


Full-heated, strong-hearted, etc., as the heart is the human organ most frequently mentioned in th bible. I choose to love this mystery we call God found everywhere among my brothers and sisters, with whole heart, mind, soul and strength.

I live with a profound sense of the giftedness of life, of love, of grace, of everything, even the universe: .  Nothing, none of it , had to happen, but it did!


This means that I find God’s love, beauty and grace everywhere, especially in a word obsessed on the negative with nothing and on one being “good enough.”  Because I am blessed beyond all deserving, I can never give back, love enough. Noblesse Oblige.
               

With that basic orientation, here are the twelve behaviors I nurture, cultivated, nourish and imperfectly practice:

1. Surrendering to this mystery of God’s will daily, walking, breathing and living Psalm 23, living the lyrics of Amazing Grace and the Magnificat: My soul magnifies the Lord (Luke 1:6ff)

2, Gratitude, constant thankfulness for many blessings received, the giftedness of everything,  with an obligating, Noblesse Oblige, to give back relentlessly. Without counting the cost.

3.  Affirming: finding God’s beauty, love, and blessing everywhere, and letting others know in a world that focuses on the negative and not being enough. How high will I soar?  Attitude determines altitude.

4.  Discerning: the great mystery of evil can be understood only by the more hidden mystery of goodness also to be found everywhere. A vital hope comes from the struggle.

5.  My Woundedness, that is, my flawed imperfections, all blessings in disguise, claims on the heart of God’s mystery of Incarnation, each of us made in the image and likeness of God, spiritual beings discovering what it means to be human. 

6.  Risking boldly, willing to be vulnerable, because “anything  worth doing is worth doing badly,” stretching my love, gifts and talents regularly.

7. Celebrating: living with “Yes!” “Wow!” dancing to my own music, not caring how others judge me, making every day a new “alleluia! “Thank you, Great Mystery!

8. Self-compassion: knowing my woundedness is my claim on God's mercy,  letting go of perfectionism and constant striving, living with forgiveness for myself first and then others, and therefore with peace, joy and love.

9. Stillness, calm, rest, serenity and quiet reflection and medication, breathing in rhythm with nature and the universe. Letting go of anxiety and any fretting. 

10. Resilience and balance, embracing each moment without judgment or reaction, letting go of urgency, absolutes,  and the need to control.

11. Creativity, pushing the envelope, no guts , no glory, the balls, no blue chips-- mottoes of the down hill skier, letting go of comparisons.

12.  Playfulness laughter, song, dance, and music: , letting go of the need to appear cool, “adult” of mature, frequently finding humor in the absurdities of life and love..I  sing and dance Louis Armstrong, "On the Sunny Side of the Street," play (on my harmonica) and sing "You are my Sunshine" daily.

This is what it means for me to live whole-heartedly, to discovering and rediscovering myself inside the mystery of grace, beauty, and love and service. I was graced to give my heart, mind, soul and strength to Goid totally at age 23. I lived as a Benedictine monk for 16 yeares until age 39.  I have lived this gift for 60 years as of 2012.  Gratitude to Rene Brown for her recent GIfts of Imperfection. Ask for my booklet "The Social Disease of Perfectionism," 1975, and my handout on the heart.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my hunt for something regarding this.

Feel free to visit my webpage ... Abercrombie & Fitch

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home